Monday, May 14, 2012

Lost and Found in Translation

I've been doing a little brainstorming to find some common themes I am seeing in my research on The Hunchback of Notre Dame.  From reading the English translated text, looking at blogs, movies, ballets, musicals, listening to the audiobook, etc. one common element I have found is that of translation.  Each of these different mediums of communication have added and taken away from my original impression of the novel.  They are all different translations.
I have put these different mediums into three categories that I am going to be looking into farther:  audio and visual, and a combination of both.

Audio
Audiobook

Visual
Dance
Text (original French, and English translation)
Blogs

Both
Musical (Notre Dame de Paris)
Youtube video montages
Movies

I hope to draw conclusions from what each of these mediums add to and take away from the original French text, and see whether one or another method of translation is better.  Let's get to work!


No comments:

Post a Comment